Saturday, March 12, 2011

When Jonas learns all about colors, he claims "it isn't fair that nothing has color". Why does he say this?

In my opinion, I think the reason why Jonas says this is mainly because this is first time he has experienced this. For example, I remember when I was a kid, when I went to some playground or theme park and had to leave, I felt that I still wanted to stay longer. This is somewhat similar to how Jonas felt, because since this was the first time he experienced this, he doesn't want it to stop. It's just like saying; Jonas has the habit of seeing the color of red.

Another reason why Jonas claims that it isn't fair to not have color, is because of the fact that he may already be getting sick and tired of the original colors of there world. It's just like how when you eat one type of cereal for a very long time, and then you get sick and tired of eating it, and then when you eat another type of cereal that seems more tastier, but instead you're not allowed to eat it.

Also, as mentioned on page 97, " 'But I want them!' Jonas said angrily. 'It isn't fair that nothing has color!' 'Not fair?' The giver looked at Jonas curiously. 'Explain what you mean' 'Well.....' Jonas had to stop and think it through. 'If everythings the same, then there aren't any choices! I want to wake up in the morning and decide things! A blue tunic, or a red one?' ". In this statement, it proves that Jonas just wants make choices by himself and that's pretty much what he actually mean't by "It isn't fair to not have color".






1 comment:

  1. SUP GERALD!

    Really nice creative and surprising connections you got there! It took me far beyond what I was thinking originally. I used to only think that; "Jonas only wants to know colors because he's bored from his usual life" or even practical jokes like ; "Jonas wants to choose things just to marry Fiona!" So, yes, your statements supported loads from why it is interesting to read.(especially the first one)

    This following is just a suggestion of what you could do.. I think that you can "talk" to the audience more to create the fluency of sentences. I think that it could make the audience get more excitement and convinced that your opinions is more of a FACT.

    ReplyDelete